What Are the Effects of Nitrous Oxide?
The term, laughing gas, originated from the comical effect that nitrous oxide has on some patients once inhaled. Patients experience a mild euphoria, which sometimes results in hysteria. Although some may find this side effect odd or amusing, nitrous oxide is completely harmless.
How Does Nitrous Oxide Work?
Your sedation dentist in Houston, TX will provide nitrous oxide through a special mask. This mask is connected to an electronic device, which mixes a combination of nitrogen and oxygen before being administered through the mask for you to inhale. The effects of the laughing gas can take place within minutes.
After your dental treatment, the nitrous oxide mixture is replaced with 100% oxygen. The effects of the laughing gas begin to wear off with regular breathing.
There are many reasons why your sedation dentist in Houston may suggest nitrous oxide sedation rather than other types of sedation, including:
- Laughing gas helps calm nerves and ease dental anxiety.
- With light sedation, patients never fully lose consciousness. They just feel comfortable.
- The level of sedation can be adjusted at any point during the procedure.
- While under nitrous oxide sedation, both the gag reflex and saliva flow slow down.
- There is no need for an injection or IV with nitrous oxide sedation.
With nitrous oxide sedation dentistry from our Houston office, patients are much more at ease, and dental anxiety is greatly reduced.